Friday, September 10, 2010

Cartel + Udders with ShanHui yesterday,
ThaiExpress + Udders with Nic & Squish today.

I'm turning into an Udders fan, I like cow tits.
Great talk yesterday and crazy people today, me likey!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Singapore 2006 Happy planet index: 131/178
Singapore 2009 Happy planet index: 49/143

(How are we increasingly happy? Doesn't seem to be the case in my opinion. Shall read more on how they calculate it and the criticisms.)

I hate how we have to "buy" happiness in this society. We can't simply do things we like, it's impossible to live this way in this day and age. There isn't point in ranting, the only options are to:

1) Live like everybody else in singapore, be a working machine and die of stress and disease and lack of sleep.

2) Lead a fulfilling life revolving interests but definitely not a smooth-sailing one. Many sacrifices in terms of basic needs and enjoyment/certain entertainment. Still, true happiness above all?

3) Live overseas and miss everybody else in this place we call home.

4) You tell me?


Adults who do not work hard enough are deemed irresponsible. Those who sacrifice alone time/family time for work are respected. It all boils down to our choice, a sacrifice must be made either way. But what choices do we have in a society which condemns personal enjoyment? It's really not THAT easy to not be like the rest.

Sometimes I wonder if it's really because we don't have a "direction in life", or is it that we're not presented other routes? Or are we made to think other possible routs are not good or feasible?

Is it THAT bad to be a jack of all trades but a master of none?

----------------------------------------

Can't believe our teacher told us we won't die if we don't sleep and study throughout the night. WE WILL. & I'll never want to sacrifice my health and happiness for work in the future. The adults always say "you work hard now and you'll be able to enjoy life in the future"

Enjoy what?
Loads of money, poor health, material wealth, less time with family (if applicable)?

I don't know what kind of life I'll lead in the future, but I definitely won't want to live like a robot, a workaholic who works from day till night, sacrificing life, interests and my mind for money. Maybe not even for extravagance, just to live comfortably because competition is far too strong.

--------------------------

I thought about how I want to work just to support my interests, it's going to be impossible to work part time and have enough cash to do what I like in this economically driven country, this region.

Sometimes I think about it and feel so stuck, because there is no way we can enjoy life in this modern society. There's no way to do what we like because EVERYTHING comes with a price tag, an opportunity cost. You either do what you like or die of hunger, to put it in exaggeration. We can't just paint or play music without worrying about having enough cash to survive, even a simple life.

It is indeed too naive and foolish to think I can enjoy life doing what I want, taking time to develop and discover my true interests without a proper degree. On the other hand, I REFUSE to live life like everybody else, lifeless souls and all. I refuse to sacrifice LIFE for all these, in a place where happiness must be bought over.

Don't even get me started on the definition of "education" here. This is sidetracking but we're forced to think in the same way. They just KILLED alot of people who don't fit into this "mold" that has been created for us. JUST BECAUSE WE DON'T FIT INTO THE MOLD DOESN'T MEAN WE FAIL IN LIFE.

-----------------------------------------------

Reality is harsh and it's impossible to enjoy life like that. This is SINGAPORE. We can't afford to be like the other countries. Or rather, we can never be like them. My brain's too tired to explain why, there's too much to type and I don't have time. (Goddamn I don't even have time to write meaningful things)

I suppose the only option is to live overseas. Not an Asian country. I don't think we'll live to see things change over here. Have we all been brainwashed into thinking how working our asses off for a 'comfortable life' is the way to go?

Is it a result of our asian ancestors going through too much suffering in the past and them trying their best to fight for the top? Have we, the later generation, been living too comfortably and are really too naive?

Which is the right mindset? I think "right" depends on our priority in life. Now that we have the power to choose, it's really all up to the individual. But wait, do we REALLY have the power to choose?

-----------------------


I'm tired of this life. Far too tired.

So we're lazy for not working our asses off. But think about it again, what is our purpose of living? What has "life" become?

Is it even wrong to enjoy life? Sadly impossible in this age.

No comments: